An innocent looking "Insert" load is reading a source table, applying a set of look up transformations, then generating a sequence number as a unique key and inserting to a target table in bulk mode is only able to give a throughput of about 65 records per second on a 4 core, 8GB RAM server. The source table is having over 20 million records.
There are other work flows which are running at a throughput of >2000 records per second. So, I have started investigating into this "Performance Problem"
1. Looked at the AWR reports from the source and target databases as well as the Informatica repository database. There is no indication any bottleneck on the database end.
2. Looked at the Session Log of Informatica PowerCenter. The session log shows the Writer thread 99% busy.
3. Taken a subset of 100K records using the source qualifier started running multiple scenarios to identify the bottleneck.
- First step is to remove the target database; converted the target to a local flat file; so the workflow is now just reading the source; applying all the transformations & look-ups and writing to the local flat file. The throughput did not improve.
- Next step is to remove the large table look-ups. One of the look-up was on a table of more than 20 million records. Removed all the look-ups in the workflow mapping. Still the throughput is only 65 records per second.
- As the third step, removed the Sequence Number generation; Now the workflow is just reading from the source table and writing to a flat file after applying few compute transformations. The throughput reached 2400 records per second.
- By now we have identified the probable bottleneck with the "Sequence Generator"; to confirm that re-ran the work flow with all the look-up transformations and only disabling the sequence generator. The throughput was 2400 records per second.
4. Looking at the sequence generator is reusable and set to cache only one value. This is causing a round trip from Informatica powercenter server to Informatica repository for the each sequence number to be generated. This could only do a maximum 65 round trips in a second which is causing the bottleneck in this workflow.
Setting appropriate caching on the sequence generator, we finally achieved a throughput of 2400 records per second and completed the load in less than 2.5 hours; It is an improvement of throughput by around 37 times!
Spending few hours in identifying the bottleneck and removing it worth its effort......